Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: How often do you see someone admit to that in an audiphile forum?

"I didn't even know about playing vinyl wet! It's a new one for me. I still have some stuff I want to archive to computer -- a D2 transfer of the home movies from when I was a kid, some LP's and open reel tapes that are irreplaceable..."

I meant to reply to this but I have been having too much fun with music this weekend. This is the most encouraged I have been with pondering the build of perhaps my last rig. This has directlty resulted in listening to and discovering more new (to me) music than ever. Anyway...

I have an experiment for you then. When it comes time to archive/transfer that vinyl that you meant to get around to you can try this. I found this out by a happy accident and have since found out that there are a few others who do this also. If you drop a few drops of cleaning fluid on the record while it is playing so that the cartrige traps it by surface tension between itself and the record it will drag the bubble of fluid along with it. It's a little labor intensive but I made a point of doing so when recording to tape. As silly as this may sounds, and it does, the reduction to surface noise is pretty startling.

My operating theory as to why this is is due to dissipating the static charge that is created by dragging a diamond through the grooves during playback. Treating the record for static before playback doesn't work because it's the process of playback that causes it. I think that it is as simple as with rubbing two insulators together striping off electrons just like those low humidity winter days where walking on nylon carpet is enough to zap you for touching things that provide a ground path. The last turntable I had was a Technics SL-1600 Mk? with a nice Audio-Technica eliptical cartrige. Now whether this was natural for this combination of components to do this I cannot say. And if it is static build up that is the fault here then there may be a more elegant way of doing this. An oppressively humid room may work to dissipate static or a conductive brush to the turntable ground perhaps. But I think it is necessary to bleed off the charges as they are being created during playback. The wet playback method that I used subjectively reduced a good 90% or so of the surface noise I was getting without wet playback. It was that effective. I have read the other theory being because of hydraulic action buffering micro faults in the grooves but I am sticking with static discharge until I know better.

Edits: 03/17/12 03/17/12 03/17/12 03/17/12 03/17/12 03/17/12 03/17/12 03/17/12 03/17/12 03/18/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.