Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Maggies and high-end speakers

Hard to think of any minuses for the Acoustats, except maybe their size. Like many stats, they tend to beam, and that creates a certain kind of sound that's very clean but a bit bright or hyper detailed. (Wendell points out that that hyper detail effect is absent in the Hill Plasmatronics, despite their extension, and he thinks its an artifact and I tend to agree, but I was just discussing this with Jonathan Valin and he disagrees.)

I think the Quad 63's are the only stats that really get the power response right, maybe the Sound Labs (which are faceted/curved but much wider than the Logans so have better power response.) Also, they aren't the most detailed electrostats, but that only means they're a bit less transparent than any other kind of speaker except a plasma. They'll play pretty deep but Maggies are better in the bass and midbass and more dynamic unless you take bass load off the Acoustats as some people do. They won't quite match the all-time great Quad 57 midrange. They're incredibly reliable, the panels just keep going and going.

Taken overall, I think I prefer the sound of big Maggies, which seems more *natural* to me despite the better transparency of the Acoustats. It's a matter of overall compromises and I think better power response. But if you let each one play where it does best -- Maggie woofers for the midbass, Acoustats for the mids, Maggie ribbons for the highs -- I think you'd have a pretty amazing combination.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.