Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

Sound coming from outside of the soundstage

My latest music acquisition is Erykah Badu's new CD "Return of the Ankh". Great collection of songs, I'm loving it. What a groove!

While listening, I've noticed that she and her sound engineers were playing a lot with the sound during the production phase. One thing startled me: there are many, many sounds on this CD that create the illusion that the sound source is located somewhere outside of the regular soundstage (i.e. the sound is often not coming from between the left and the right speaker). Sometimes the effect is extreme, for example I suddenly hear sounds coming from the extreme right, as if I had a third speaker positioned all the way to my right. Sometimes I'm hearing sounds almost as if they're coming from behind me!

How's this possible? What did they have to do to achieve this startling and confusing effect? And is it mostly due to the Maggie's nature, or will other speakers also reproduce this mystifying effect?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Antique Electronic Supply  

Topic - Sound coming from outside of the soundstage - magiccarpetride 10:19:32 03/16/12 (43)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.