Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Couple random questions from the newbie

1) What are Tympanis? I did a google search, and all I found were used multipanel maggies. Were they one of the panels, made by Magnepan?

2) How do studios make that same-sound-from-both-speaker effect. For instance, if I play a mono recording of a single instrument, the image will be centered between the two speakers. Often for the chorus of songs, the harmony singers will (in stereo) have the effect of coming from both left and right side of the room. If same phase and same volume = centered, do they just play the same sound out of phase?

3) Why do tweeters blow: http://sound.westhost.com/tweeters.htm I have read many of his articles. There's something here that doesn't make sense to me. Scroll down to the bottom three images with the green waveforms. The author says that overdriving an amp to where it's producing the square waveforms will destroy a tweeter due to the average power level exceeding what the tweeter is designed. That makes perfect sense - but the culprit here to be doesn't seem to be clipping. If you took a much more powerful amp and set the same gain, the average power level would be even HIGHER, since it's not chopping off the tops or bottoms. I absolutely see how having the headroom makes a big difference for quality audio reproduction, but I fail to see how that protects tweeters from excessive volume. But I doubt the pro is wrong and rookie is right, so where am I going wrong?

4) Other than convenience and being able to swap components, are there any benefits ALLXO have over PLLXO? Rod Elliot compares ALLXO to passive (amp level?) XOs.

5) Anyone have good reading material for digital crossovers? And any useful Windows-compatible software to know about?

edit - 6) If Maggies are so "power hungry" and clipping is such an issue to sound reproduction, how do so many people get great results from 40W tube amps?

I guess that's all that's been bugging me. Thanks :-)

Edits: 03/15/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Couple random questions from the newbie - pistonengine 22:08:54 03/15/12 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.