Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Yet another problem room..

You know, being old and senile, I'd forgotten that, but when you mentioned it, it came back -- I do remember when you did those impulse tests.

Who was it who mentioned aluminum angles? I think I'd try steel angles, they're more massive. I think they'd complement the MDF well in that they have very different resonant characteristics and would damp one another more effectively than MDF and wood. And there's less of a risk of diffraction. One of the problems with measuring impulses in a circumstance like this is that you never quite know what you're measuring -- reflections, resonance, diffraction.

Really, there are a lot of beautiful frame projects, but I haven't seen any experimentation with Apogee-style truncated pyramids, rounded edges, or rounded profiles. Someone did some measurements of various baffles using the RD-75 and the one that worked best was an airfoil design. The big Infinities/Genesis for example use curved baffles to minimize diffraction. Also, no one seems to have tried an all-aluminum or Corian frame. (The great thing about Corian is that you can prepare breakfast while you're listening.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.