Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Yet another problem room..

Josh asked: "I wonder how you could measure their effect?"

In short, a Radio Shack digital meter can begin to tell the change. Other finer means can be used to further confirm.

Don't cock that gun just yet: You can try the RS meter test rather easily. All you need is 4 pieces of wood/MMG and a few small clamps to try my Pseudo-Frames.

Keep in mind that my Stixbees, as well as my original experimental Pseudo-Frames that led to them, are easily removable. In doing so, one does not need to move the speakers. Repeated test cycles can be done without introducing undesirable variables.

This kind of swapping can't be done with wood frames in order to compare, which is why no one thought of it before, I think.

The peaks tell the story, primarily during impulsive passages. Play impulsive music passage, write down SPL max peaks (in digital meter). Add/remove PFs, repeat test with same passage. Do it several times. Later, try a few different passages.

We all know that frame reinforcemnt works, and so does frame replacement.

However, it seemed that nothing at hand, short of a full-fledged physics lab, could measure it. I remember our group discussions and the arguments as to what actually happens (stiffness, resonance, etc.) as well as our plans to try cheap accelerometer or interferometer DIY approaches. We never did. We were all too busy.

Then, as I planned the test of Dawnrazor's Razoring tweak in 2010, I was desperate. In my mind, good as Razoring could turn out to be, I expected it to be a more subtle effect than frame reinforcement. If it worked, I would feel better recommending it if I found a way to measure it, at least to my own satisfaction.

During preparations for the Razoring tests, I accidentally discovered that a simple Radio Shack digital meter could differentiate "P-Frames vs none" in some situations. However, it was not sensitive enough for the Razoring test.

Yet, it led me to a more sensitive (and elaborate) approach which was good enough for Razoring. It showed that Razoring has an objective impact. In addition, this other test always confirmed what the RS meter reported regarding the P-Frames and (later) the Stixbees .

In both types of tests, the difference shows up in impulsive passages. The peaks are higher. On the less impulsive passages the contrast is lower. Up to the point were compression starts to happen, the louder one plays, the better contrast can be observed.

Now that I know that the Stixbees work (long-term), I hope to enable any soul who needs a cheap & easy approach to do it. And if they need to measure something, they can...though our ears tell things apart just fine.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.