Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Yet another problem room..

Dear Don,
first of thanks Jben, for getting me involved. I have a room that is 9ft by 12ft, so actually smaller than yours Don. But it now sounds great with my modded MMGs. I won't go into the mods here, as there are plenty of other threads for that if/when you are ready.

What i did was to put the speakers on one end of the long of the room, roughly where your speakers are now. Experiment with toe in and tweeter in or out. Mine sounded best mylar front (like the picture you just posted from Brian bennett's tweak page) tweeters in, about 2 feet from the side walls, and 3 feet forwards from the back wall.

I then put up a thick curtain behind the speakers. Double layer of curtains behind the speakers really help in a small room like ours. The maggies were essentially unlistenable without the curtains. (see my recent post about being away for a bit...it's got pictures).

I then placed an RPG abfussor... locally made replica behind each speaker. Along with a carpet and cd racks on both side walls at about the first sound reflection points, really helped the sound.
If you were able to move your desk with the computer to the area of the closet/ longer bit leading to the garage, with the desk placed so that you are sitting facing the speakers, with the bookcases on either side of the speakers on the first reflection points, i feel it would help.

Consider putting up thick curtains behind the speakers. Satie's got a good point about putting the book cases behind the speakers to act like RPG's but if you ever need to take a book out, i know it will be difficult as the space there is very constrained. I have tried to move things around behind my speakers, and it is a real pain going behind them. I'm 5ft 9 and 80kg and not that big, and it's already a tight squeeze, so if you are bigger and not so nimble, i would not place anything that require regular getting to, behind the speakers.

I bought a used PSB subwoofer and a DSPeaker device to control the subwoofer... after a day of playing around with it i realized i did not need a subwoofer, it just got in the way of things as i am already getting very nice clean bass, sufficient quantity that i don't enjoy the presence of the subwoofer.

I really wish you well and hope you get good results from your Maggies. For me there is no other, and right now i am done purchasing anymore hifi as the sound i am getting from my set up in my room, for me, is spactacular.

Deep bass, near 3-D centre image, nice depth and not too shabby width in the sound stage, altho not the widest considering the speakers are only a few feet appart.

Take care.
Warmfires.
This rovers crossed over
to the >>>SUNNY<<< side of the street

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.