Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Not worthwhile?

You can't go too far wrong with the cap upgrade - it's cheap and reversible. Do not expect to hear huge differences; at least I did not, with my addmittedly 'brass' ears. It is 'different' but whether or not it's 'better' is up to you.

Suggestion for ANY mod you do:
- do one speaker at a time and compare, i.e. do the left one, then listen to the pair so you can tell the differences between left and right.
- Listen to mono recordings with the modded vs non-modded. This will highlight true differences between speakers instead of confusing the issue by feeding the speakers different (left and right) signals.
- Reverse the left and right speakers. This will change the tweeter in/out position as well, but these speakers are so room-dependant that unless you have a perfectly symmetrical setup, the sound will be colored by the room. So listen to a track in mono, listen for differences, write them down, then reverse Left and Right and see if the differences move with the speaker or stay with the room. Soundstage, etc will change but differences between channels due to the speaker will follow the speaker.
-For giggles, try reversing the left and right signals, leaving the speakers alone, while running mono. This will make sure 1) it's a true mono signal 2) the channels in your equipment is matched (source, amp, wires, etc). If, for instance, the gain of one channel is even .2 or .3db off, your ears will probably pick it up with critical listening.

I have found the above to be VERY revealing of many mods. The comparison is right there, right now, comparing a mod to a non-modded speaker. I tend to be skeptical of folks who take their speakers out of commission for days or weeks to do a mod, then listen to them and hear huge differences. I guess they have much better sonic memory than I. So far I've done (several) caps, inductors, Razor, (several) stands, and finally active line level x-over and bi-amp. It is fun!

Enjoy!!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Not worthwhile? - acroy 10:36:42 02/27/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.