Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Waz . . . adieu!

I haven't posted here in quite some time, but rarely a day goes by that I don't check in to observe the brilliance, madness and sometimes mayhem that often ensues en route to the journey of discovery that everyone's participation in this forum has created with regard to the planar magnetic speakers that have so enriched our experiences and increased our enjoyment of recorded music. I find this forum to be an incredibly valuable (and obviously polarizing) resource of information and experimentation that's totally transformed my appreciation of my Magneplanar MMGs and elevated my enjoyment of the music to levels I'd never have believed possible. Without this forum, I'd never have gained the necessary information or confidence to perform the mods to my MMGs that have so radically altered my approach and experiences of the last couple of years.

That said, it's a source of constant amazement to me, the infighting, bickering, name-calling and general bad behavior and intolerance among the personalities that frequent here. The last time I posted was about a year ago, and it came at a moment of sheer euphoria for me; over the course of about six months I'd taken the initial steps and bypassed the tweeter fuses, then built oak stands to elevate and increase the speakers' rigidity. I then took the radical step of quasi-Gunning the MMGs with PG's crossover mods: the cumulative effect of all the above has offered my enjoyment of music new levels of dynamics and realism.

Everything I needed to make my dream a reality was gleaned from an extensive survey of these pages. And when -- out of sheer, almost uncontainable joy -- I posted my experiences here, I was almost immediately hammered by Waz, telling me -- essentially -- what a stupid, uninformed f*ck I was, and how what my ears were telling me was correct couldn't possibly be. The day-or-so long thread that followed was a mixture of congratulations and good cheer from many, occasionally tempered with further attacks on my audio experiences and obvious character flaws, along with a generous proportion of name-calling and mud slinging between Waz and PG.

I'm pretty thick-skinned, and my 30-or-so years in this hobby/obsession/addiction has left me pretty firm in my convictions that I know what I'm hearing, and when what I'm hearing is musically accurate and correct. While I'm very opinionated about this, I don't make a habit of belittling those I come in contact with in the audio realm by attempting to invalidate any of their own conclusions or opinions (at least, not out loud). And while the vast infusion and divergence of information here can easily have a very polarizing effect on the participants -- I have to be honest -- it can be seriously offensive! I've personally gotten so much good out of this forum, but there's one hell of a lot of ill will here, as evidenced by the events of the last few days.

Don't get me wrong -- I don't worship at the altar of PG, although I do believe there's some pretty good science behind his crossover designs. I figured out pretty quickly that he's a bit of a loose cannon -- I guess he fits right in here. But because in my own system I see the validity of his approach, I don't appreciate being told (by Waz) how incorrect my conclusions are.

I still think there's a lot of useful information to be found here. But you gotta filter through a whole lotta crap to get to the good stuff.

Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.