Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Dayton or Jantzen cap for MMG crossover?

At the time I fooled around with them, the Precision Daytons were a disappointment in timbral issues, more than anything else that I can remember. However, they were precise in response and, I agree, "harsh" they were not.

The most bothersome issue to me was that they affected the sound of pianos, more so the Steinways.

Surprisingly, this was more offending in the least expected of positions; used as the cap for the 2nd order slope (in original MMG xover design). Lots of people maintain that a cap in that xover position has no impact on sound as long as it has the proper value. It took me quite a while to begin suspecting that it was the real cause.

I was on my way to bi-amping anyway so, no loss, but I was still curious. Later, we put these in a friend's set of DIY speakers (cone). We both perceived the same thing and took them out.

Of the Parts Express caps for conventional xovers, the Jantzen CrossCap turned out to be really good all-around performers. (I still use them when I need to revert to a normal xover for tests.)

Then again, I was NOT looking to buy expensive great caps. That's part of the beauty with a PLLXO on MMGs...super cheap and great. With the money for some of these exotic caps one can get a 2nd power amp and still save!

Acroy and a few of us cats around here know this. However, we also know that bi-amping at line-level (be it PLLXO or active) is not for everyone. Among other things, this will expose the better "goods" as well as the worst "bads" in recordings. There are people for whom "Ignorance is bliss" is a most valid proposition.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Dayton or Jantzen cap for MMG crossover? - JBen 14:12:20 02/24/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.