Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Newform Research

I own both the (modified) Newform r645's (V2 w/ported bass) and the MG1.6/QR and have to say that in terms of overall performance, they compare favorably. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. There has been lots written here about the strengths/weaknesses of the MG1.6qr's, so I can't add much. They are both great sounding loudspeakers. I'm currently using the Newforms in my listening room...but switch them out from time to time.

With the r645's you get the high frequency naturalness and definition of the ribbons...this is the strength of the r645's. Another related strength is soundstaging and imaging, both of which, while not world class, are excellent. If the Newform r654 v2 has a weakness it's in the bass and the mid-range performance area(s)...IMO (and which, no doubt, have been addressed in the the V3 and the NHB645). The so-called "kitchen sink" DIY modifications which were popular with this speaker several years ago helped (but did not eliminate completely) these weaknesses.

While I haven't heard the NHB 645's, I guess I agree that at $5400 they seem to offer a lot of speaker for the money. But there is also a lot of competition at around the $6000+ price point...so I would have trouble unless I could listen to them first.

Finally, in my experience Newform is an excellent company which supports it's products and customers.

Hope this helps a little.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Newform Research - rwiley 18:42:50 02/22/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.