Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Bi-Wire Made a considerable improvement

I think the critics sometimes get into a circular situation in which they use one component to compensate for the flaws of another -- sometimes a colored component. For example, one amp manufacturer was complaining in a manufacturer's response that the reviewer had used a speaker with deficient bass, then said their amp was bass shy, when the amp was accurate, and the other amp had a high output impedance and was compensating for the bass deficiency in the speaker by underdamping the woofer.

There's nothing wrong with mixing and matching, of course, but there is a danger that it will slant a review. How often have we seen a reviewer say that a speaker does something annoying until he finds a component that tames it? Sometimes those are flaws in the speaker, e.g., cone breakup modes that haven't been properly suppressed by the crossover. Or even if there's nothing wrong with the speaker, how often are people who are complaining that their ribbon tweeters are too bright told they should get a tube pre? Nothing wrong with a tube pre, but I'd think the right way to handle that problem is by using a tweeter resistor or adding some HF damping to the room.

There aren't that many fundamentals below 50 Hz, are there? MMG's don't sound like Tympanis, though. :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Bi-Wire Made a considerable improvement - josh358 15:17:02 02/22/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.