Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Looking to leave the Maggie Fold?

The issue that makes me suspect the health of the speaker is the lack of imaging. In all my experiences with maggies, I have never had anything less than great soundstage width and good image specificity with a well setup 3.x. Image depth is largely a function of how far off the front wall you are willing to pull the speakers. This aspect tends to improve as you pull them into the room.

You may benefit from a "Rooze" arrangement, where you align the speakers edgewise at 8-10' apart with the direct sound hitting the sidewalls. You just need to aim it at a symmetrical portion of blank sidewall.

That arrangement is far less intense at the top frequencies and provides a more natural soundstage.

I don't know how handy you are, but there is much left on the table in the stock speaker that you can obtain with XO upgrades and bi or tri-amping. In particular, you would probably enjoy the option of lifting the bass output relative to the top end when biamping.

Your Benz cartridge is a rather laid back cartridge, so I am not sure you can do much better with an MC cartridge, they tend to be very bright, with the Benz being less so. I would suggest you try an older MM cartridge. Something like a Technics 205MkII with an original or JICO SAS stylus. I had one of those and have the integrated headshell Mk III and MkIV. The MkII is a warm but very detailed cartridge with very good imaging and terrifically powerful bass. Another option is the AT 15S with the shibata stylus, and its "bigger" brothers, I had one of those, it is very very good, and both these cartridges outdo nearly all MCs under $2k by quite a distance. Particularly in the bass and in dynamic impact, but also in natural tone - without the MC's high end tizz. They are also a little less sensitive to VTA.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.