Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Speaker vs room vs equipment vs system

So, we are making a some progress. As you look into things, including possible replacements, we can keep trying to norrow down things that may "save" your 3.6s. You know, Satie made a couple of good points there. Thankfully, it does seem like we don't have to worry about the 3.6s being deteriorated.

Satie's other point, the ability to measure, has been key for me to be able to extract the most from my MMGs. Today's technology is so cheap and simple! Given the stakes and the costs of good audio hardware, it would be a great thing for you to be able to use it. Granted, it is no panacea, for it does not "fix" things...and it requires a "tweakster's mindset" that most people don't have the time for. Yet, the feedback it provided drove the reason why I would not trade my MMGs for the very same 802D I also love so much. (well, yes, I would trade to sell the 802D and then buy 3.7s :-))

BTW, the 3.7s do have an improved ability to deliver more fullness at lower volumes when properly deployed and driven. If this were the only issue, things could turn out to be far easier. I gather it is not.

Anyway, I still have a nagging feeling that the Linar may be a right choice for the midrange/tweeter but not for all 3 drivers of the 3.6s. The more I read your descriptions of what bothers you, the more I remember my first experience with 3.6s. They did not impress me all that much, except for the tweeter, of course. That was with a 300w into 4ohm amp. Yet, not much more powerful amps in the same room, later, dispelled my concerns...go figure!

In any event, if we could at least trouble you for a good sketch or photos of the room, the ideas that may come could help you with the 3.6s or with any other speaker. This is just to munch on something that could turn out to be key.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.