Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Looking to leave the Maggie Fold?

Some threads bring out the best in us, this one has certainly done that. Youve had some great responses leaving not much for me to add. However, I had the same experience you have with th 3.6s. I started with mg 12s then 1.6s then modded 1.6s (which were great and I miss them) then 10 out of 10 3.6s - When I got to the 3.6s I expected to be really happy and instead I thought they were bright and lacked life and passion. I judge my listening experience by my reaction. If I want to listen to more music thats good, if I want to go back to other songs and see how they sound thats good. With the 3.6s I didnt feel that way at all. I then moved to Acoustat which to this day I swear is the best speaker on the planet no matter what equipment is paired with it or what the room acoustics you may have. For my media room they are epic. Im moving to a smaller house with no media room so in anticipation of the move I started looking at smaller box speakers. I found some B&W DM1600 speakers that were in perfect condition for next to nothing. Having no experience with B&W I thought why not. Got them home and absolutely love them. Then I went on a literal rampage buying up all the B&Ws I could find. I found that I really loved listening to music again, to the point that I have pandora (YA DIRECT TV!) all day

My point is this, I personally think Maggies are magnificent. However, where they come up short the B&W come up in spades yet arent as good as Maggies at what Maggies are great at. Maggies DONT go low and are really tough to crossover with subs. B&Ws dont have the imaging or clarity of Maggies. I found that Acoustats are the best B&Ws are next best and modded 1.6s are next best. Thats me. Id recommend dump the 3.6s and get some Acoustat Monitor 4s with the tube amps. If you cant find any send me a message and Ill point you in the right direction.

hope that helps

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.