Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Will Sound Anchor Stands reduce MMG bass too much?

This is all relative to my room/layout, so please keep it in mind.

On the floor, my MMGs do great bass down to 43hz (and slightly lower at -6db). Up from there, there is that typical hump to around 90hz or so that is really strong, like many Maggies. When well tuned to the room, most music does not require a subwoofer. In fact, I hardly ever turn mine on.

Enter my on/off experiments with the "wingies". Look up the "wings" in tweaks. While full wings are intended to boost bass, my goal with the wingies is to increase ONLY upper bass/low mids in 100-250hz region. The wingies are just a section of a full wing. Say, 16"x22". I am still tuning them but they already give me some of what I wanted.

Problem for me: the wingies still boost the lower bass. More than I need or want. Solution: raise the MMGs to bleed off some of the boost.

I tried 3" and now 5". The 3" was too little but if the wingies are taken off, bass is clearly weaker than on the floor. At 5" without the wingies it is even worse. At both heights, I start wishing for the subwoofer to be on (if the wingies are off).

Here's another thing to keep in mind when raising MMGs while standing straight. Glare & over brightness.

Never ever, while on the floor and standing straight, did I worry about frequency response peaks in the treble. Nor could I measure any. As soon as I started raising them 3" or more I began to get unwanted peaks that become bothersome with some music. In fact, this is the only unresolved issue right now. If I can fix it, the wingies will become permanent. If not, the MMGs go back to the floor.

Like Josh mentioned, experiment first before making the investment on the stands.

Edits: 02/19/12 02/19/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Will Sound Anchor Stands reduce MMG bass too much? - JBen 20:39:37 02/19/12 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.