Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Apogees and ethics - comments

I remember following Vavetude's project as he was posting it. You need to take into consideration his heroic effort with giant magnet structure and fine tuning of every component, surface, location. It is something that you would expect to cost a few thousand a piece and something like most of a Genesis system once you add the appropriate woofers to complement it.

I did not know that the Neo 10 uses the magnets to form the shape of the magnet boards. Very cool idea. Yes, I was aware of the heat failure mechanism. That differs from mylar, which just melts.

I think 250 hz is an ok spot rather than perfect. The ideal would be more like 150-200 depending on how solid the structure holding the mids is.

I have a rather good memory of what I heard, since I got to hear the Centaurs and Slants many times, and got exposure to the Stage and its derivatives sufficient to get a permanent feel for it.

I can say that the Apogees are still somewhat more dynamic sounding than the Neo8 - probably because the ribbons are loose and not stretched as much as the Neo's. I think that limits their output some when you go beyond a certain rather high volume, they compress a little. But otherwise, I think they are just more refined and texturally right. I have heard my Neo8s with a variety of amps, so I have some idea of the sound of the array itself.

I am a little surprised that you can get a more correct imaging with the down tilted top end - as pointed out in the Sonus Faber Amati Futura review from Atkinson. Very interesting.

I guess we just leave the minimum gap size for dipole cancelation aside. From my experience it seems like 1/2" is already over the threshold in the 300 hz area.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.