Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Foil Project for IIIa's

Hello Everyone. I just wanted to post an update on the progress of my IIIa's. Yesterday we laid down the wire on the second speaker, duplicating the layout of the first speaker. We just have the foil to do on this one speaker and of course the soldering on both. Is there anything special I need to know about the soldering other than it is aluminum wire? I have the solder that Magnepan sent with the IIIa rebuild kit, and Sheila said to use that as it is for aluminum. Once that is done, then it is on to the crossover and mounting to the frames. My friend is just about finished with the frames as well. I also need to replace the "buttons" on the second speaker. Has anyone had any experience with that? They do not include them with the kit, but it is near impossible to replace the wires without breaking them. We drilled out the rivet on both with no damage to the speaker, so I expect I will have to get some from Magnepan. Can anyone tell me what they are for?
I am getting real excited to hear and see what the final project will look and sound like. I do understand that there is a break-in period as well and I am anticipating that. I feel like a kid again waiting for Santa to appear. :-)

I also need a reasonably priced amp that will fit my budget for the tweeters. I could use some advice on that as well. I thought I would search Audiogon once I have an idea of what might be appropriate. I have had good luck for the most part, purchasing equipment from there and any help with that will be appreciated. Perhaps someone here has one for sale. I will search the ads here as well.

As an FYI, as this is a big part of the final sound, I had my Technics SL1200 Mk5 rebuilt by Kevin Barrett. He did an incredible job. He rewired the tonearm with Cardas wires, installed an external power supply, put a switch in for the strobe so that I can eliminate that to reduce electronic noise, plus installed RCA phono plugs in place of the wire connector so that I can use quality innerconnect cables. I also installed his tonearm fluid damper. In addition, I can now record 78's as I had it modified to add that speed. I am using Cardas innerconnects as well to my line level preamp with an impedance matched adapter for input from Pure Vinyl. I am using a custom built moving magnet cartridge from KAB. The next step is to upgrade to a moving coil cartridge. The recording is done through a TC Electronics Impact Twin through firewire to a Mac using Pure Vinyl software which is a pretty impressive piece of software. As I am now digitizing and restoring vinyl as a side business. I am able to write off some of this which helps with the financial end of it. I get a pretty awesome recording now. It is much fuller in general, plus all of the audio spectrum is greatly enhanced. I don't have the knowledge to express the result correctly.
After taking one of these apart and rewiring the tonearm myself, plus researching the subject, I am convinced that this is one of the best turntables ever built. I know that I will get a lot of arguments for that statement, but I would be hard pressed to believe otherwise, especially after the mods. Anyway, I just wanted to include this for information.

Thanks again to all for all the help so far. You are an awesome bunch!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.