Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

I agree with you ... but a slight alteration ...

I ran my IIIas for over 10 years with the perpendiculars to the panels pointing directly at my ears. Then I did some experiments, as I found that the music got more engaging if I leant forward on the couch - so the ribbons were pointing behind my head.

So I made toe-in less - so the perpendiculars from the panels were crossing about 3' behind my head. Yes, that sounded better - but then I found that it still sounded better when I leant forwards - so I now have the ribbons pointing to about 7' behind my head.

According to Josh, this also helps the bass as it puts the bass panels more parallel to the front wall (parallel is best for a dipole). In my case with my 'Frankenpans', I can have the bass panels pretty much flat with the front wall and the ribbon/mid frames pointing 7' behind my head.

But, yes, your ears need to be at the half way point of the drivers (with the panels vertical).

Regards,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I agree with you ... but a slight alteration ... - andyr 19:48:03 02/10/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.