Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: More confusion over pre-amps and amps for Maggie 3.6s

I would suggest you go with a DAC/pre to avoid a proper preamp yet retain the benefits of good gain, good matching with most amps, compatibility with computer audio, and make it possible for you to continue using your current CD player as a transport.

Among the best options in price/performance are very high end AV Pre Processors from 5-10 years ago without HDMI, which makes them cheap on the used market. They usually have good DACs and provide a full function HT preamp. Search for the discussions Computerman and I had not long ago here on the MUG.

More purist are the Wyred 4 sound DAC2 which contains a good pre section, and the Benchmark DAC/Pre.

If you use a typical CD player's out into a passive "pre" then you will have some bottom sag which may join with your 3.6 to create a bass deficiency problem. It can be solved with an active subwoofer (or better yet a pair). For best match with a maggie, use a sealed subwoofer (no ports or slots).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: More confusion over pre-amps and amps for Maggie 3.6s - Satie 18:58:14 02/02/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.