Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Foil Project for IIIa's

Gentlemen - Today we finally laid down the foil for my Maggie IIIa's. The whole process went very well. We used a piece of cardboard with plastic over it to simulate the speaker, thus giving us something to practice on prior to doing the actual speaker. That was a very good thing to do as it gave us a feel for the process, plus we learned what to expect when we did the speaker. We started with a thin layer of 3M super 77. We then laid down two separate runs of foil per the suggestion of Roger just the way it was on the matching speaker for the wires. The speaker was a bit different from the picture Roger posted, so we duplicated the matching speaker. We created two sets of + and - connections, so that both runs are parallel. and when finished, I measured the resistance with my Fluke Multimeter. It measured a surprising 4.1 ohms. That was a real surprise as I thought we were going to have to use a resistor. We had one break in one set of the runs, but were able to lay a continuing strand of foil over the break, checking it for continuity, and it was fine. We finished by applying a thin coat of 30 NF. I personally am very satisfied with the way it turned out. It is not perfect, but all runs seem to cover the magnets fine. I am really looking forward to hearing how it sounds. I want to thank everyone for all the suggestions and help. I certainly could not have done this by myself. I also want to thank my friend for helping with the project as this is not a one man process. Many Thanks to all!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Foil Project for IIIa's - computerman 12:55:45 02/01/12 (40)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.