Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Eminent Technology LFT-8b

I have little experience with maggies and will not compare. But I have lots of experience with 8B setup. Obviously you're comparison is flawed because you can't compare in the same system and you probably don't have any control over the place you heard them.

If you think they are veiled there is something wrong with the setup. They are very, very transparent. They lean more to not veiled than anything else. Did you read the review in WhatHiFi I think it was where the (senior) reviewer said they are almost too revealing and a superb tool for reviewing? That is their nature. I actually found that review to be one of the best at articulating how they sound to me.

The first thing that comes to mind is toe-in and listening position. IMO this is critical and can make or break how revealing they sound. You can make a whole list of factors that might be contributing to what might impart a veil but IMO toe-in and seating position would be one of the biggest factors to consider. With not enough toe in the midrange driver doesn't radiate to your ears enough and you lose detail. Once you get it toed in enough degrees and that's locked in, then tune for preference. And speaker placement in general is very important (well out in to the room!!!!).

I also agree with DS that how they interact with the floor can make or break detail but since you were not listening at higher SPL's I don't think there were major issues there.

I would try and listen to them again if you can. Even if the system and room isn't your own. Just to see if you can get them to sing like they can. I have to admit I bought mine unheard and it worked out fantastically.

Edits: 01/10/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.