Planar Speaker Asylum

RE: Should we send a "representative" to Magnepan?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I'm thinking that the woofer panels would be too far apart, we're getting to about a wavelength separation a bit above the crossover point, at about 500 Hz. So you're going to get interference between the woofers which will cause lobing error. This is a known problem with D'Apollito-type configurations:

http://www.birotechnology.com/articles/VSTWLA.html

Also, the midrange driver will be located asymmetrically wrt to the woofers. I assume you'd have everything equidistant from the listener, but I imagine that will make the lobing somewhat asymmetrical.

The question is, how audible would this be? It would really depend I think on the first and second backwave reflections more than anything else, and that would depend on placement and room geometry as well as speaker geometry and crossover slopes, plus the characteristics of the drivers themselves. So I'm not sure what it would do to the sound, I think you'd have to model it or try it to know. You might be able to tame the effect if necessary with diffusion at the reflection points.

Follow Ups: