Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Should we send a "representative" to Magnepan?

Ah. That seems like what the term implies. I'm sure that I do not appreciate how much is 'wrong' in theory in comparison to a conventional dynamic driver. Much of what you try to accomplish in manufacturing the perfect cone or dome is discarded with planars. I certainly would not think that the single ended pole piece would work as well as it does. I would think that the nonlinear field would be obvious in the way that they sound. Shows how much I know.

I've read some interesting observations as to what a self powered speaker may have to offer. Perhaps Magepan's would be marvelous candidates for this kind of arrangement. But it probably would not market very well. They have a business model that has kept them in business where so many others have faded away. Let's say they had offered this in a 3.7 special edition this time. And that it had succeeded spectacularly well with glorious reviews as to how it was worth every penny of the additional cost. I'm not so sure that it would end up being that big of a seller. Although their speakers are not exactly cheap they do offer reasonble value in the high end market. We have been opining for some time as to our various wish lists for our dream version of Magnepan. I do think it would be cool if you could have a software plug in correction algorithm though. Not that I would have a way to use it.

I do not disagree with what a good redbook CD can offer. At this time all of my music is in this format and I seldom feel that I am lacking anything with it. Being the jaded gear junkie I still have nagging questions as to what it could have been. I think that most of us feel that the CD format could have been better refined before it was standardised. People that are far more knowledgeable than I name various figures for what could have been a transparent medium. To name one I think it was Bob Meridian(?) that said he felt that 56k at 18 bits would have been just about there. Is he right? I don't know. But I have become aware that signal processing has a lot to offer. We all know that you can't get resolution that isn't on the recording. But you can approximate with better accuracy than I would have guessed.

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject. I'm still trying to get a better bead on how to look at things. It dawned on me for the first time that if you need to preserve signal integrity then you won't gain much benefit from a 125db source through a buffer with 85db S/N ratio. Not that it is the end of the story but it isn't likely be all that it could.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.