Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Should we send a "representative" to Magnepan?

"First thing is to start everything from the minimum volume setting at the pre. you are likely to figure out what is going wrong before you blew anything."

Yessir. That's how I caught it. I peg the balance control to one side and slowly bring up the volume to the bass driver to verify. I was puzzled for a bit until I realized what was up. I think I will just say that I was preconditioning the ribbon for maximum joy. Ya... That's the ticket!

"That is the point, the audiophile has music listening and component listening as his hobby, he does not need to piggyback the DIY hobby and the science/engineering behind audio. Those are separate hobbies that are far more time consuming and don't provide you with more music per hour."

And this is fine. Not all things are going to appeal to any given audiophile. If it isn't bringing some joy to your life the what's the point? All too easily can I obsess about the system over what I have it for. I gather a number of ideas from comunities like this that would never have occurred to me otherwise. I hold your Neo-8 array as a highly worthy avenue to explore. It just sounds like fun. I was holding out for them to update their Radia drivers and they have introduced the RadiaPro versions. These use the Kaladex material like the Neo's but aren't quite comparable in performance. At least as far as I know.

As far as the opamps... I really like the LM4562 in the buffer stages and am still using the OPA2134's for the filter stages. I prefer this subjectively to using the LM4562 for everything. I have an interest in trying the current source version of that family but am not sure that the circuit is compatible yet. The Marchand has been the most responsive to modification so far of the electronics that I have. Still, that bring a series of 8 opamps per channel into the chain. Not exactly the elegant minimilist answer that I would like but I have to have something for now.

Edits: 10/19/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Should we send a "representative" to Magnepan? - emsquare 15:44:03 10/19/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.