Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Should we send a "representative" to Magnepan?

I don't know much about video OR speaker manufacture.
What I DO know is procedure, specifications and manufacturing TO the spec. If the spec is wrong, get it changed. Changes in the line are managed thru some kind of form where the responsible parties sign off on it and it goes ONLINE as the new procedure of measurable. If training is required, some responsible party has to take the responsiblity and SIGN OFF the operator or whoever does the procedure being changed.

Not to say I never did any wacky stuff. We had photgraphic steppers to put the image of the new layer on the silicon wafer. The wafer had been coated with 'photoresist' which is sensitive to UV light, and the room was illuminated in a yucky yellow. The reticle had tabs glued to it for alignment purposes. The alignment? within a few 10 of microns, but is self aligning within the mechanical / electrical limits of the stepper. The stepper, incidently, is built on a 20" thick slab of granite which is polished and finished to optical flat standards. Anyway, a reticle (kind of a glass negative) had one of these tabs snap off and no replacement was on site. Turnaround was probably a week.....way to long and the lot was waiting. Well, I was NOT a photo tech, but the boss tossed the whole thing at me and said to make it work. HA! I gave myself about 10:1 against, since I knew that it was a lot touchy. Long / Short? I took a razor blade and made a single pass on the tab and the glass. This got off all the old crazy glue. I put a drop on the darn thing and with my hand, clamped the tab back in place and it worked. Much to everyones vast surprise. I was not able to duplicate the fix, and nobody else was able either. The company ended up buying an alignment jig so anyone could do it.
The lesson? While artifacts exist, nothing beats precision and repeatability. Those machines of yours, breaking down at odd times, needed a proper fix with first cause identified for the failure modes. In my line of work, a dead machine invariably resulted in EXPENSIVE scrap.

I'd love to see Magnepan's facility and 'take the tour'. I'd love to make 'em an offer. I work cheap.....maybe a pair of 3.7s for 3 or 4 months work...... I'm now working on my 6S 'belts' and may even get to 'blackbelt' status, which would qualify me to go in and be of substantial help, while saving them some real bucks.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.