Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Should we send a "representative" to Magnepan?

I found the QC discussions below very interesting ... but seriously, wasn't it a bit over-the-top? I mean, as I understand it, Maggies are pretty much "hand built". You don't need esoteric programs / procedures for 'Fred' to know that it's time to change his router bit or 'Barney' to know it's time to get a new soldering tip or 'Betty' to know she's about to run out of staples.

I do think that Magnepan is perhaps a little too conservative. Yes, that philosophy has served them well in the past and I'm not suggesting radical big moves, but the world is changing very rapidly these days.

I rather liked the idea someone posted about DIY "upgrade kits" being sold w/ DVD instructions. With Magnepans ability to buy in bulk vs. my need to buy 2 of something, they could probably sell to me for not a whole lot more than I would have to spend individually and still see a nice profit. I would benefit from having a "factory approved and tested" upgrade and it wouldn't be long before there would be extensive consumer reviews on the 'net for me to explore about the benefits.

As to "factory installed options" I'm aware of the pitfalls and downside. But other speaker builders do it. In fact, Magnepan does it too. You have choices in sock color and trim ... why does the "option list" have to be restricted to the visual esthetic?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.