Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Ahhh! ARs from their golden times

Warning, Waz, memory lane trip.

Even before he had to mod them, a friend thought the AR-91s were an unknown little jewel, in the early 80s. Later, he had to fix the woofers foam and decided to do a little more modding claiming that he could get them closer to his beloved AR 3a, which were stolen. The results were so good that my closest neighbor in those days offered to buy these ARs when he heard them. My friend was not selling.

Then, my neighbor offered twice the price as new, plus a full bottle, 100 tablets, of Tagamet pills. In those days, the new Tagamets were prescription only and the bottle was over $100. We did not know it then but my neighbor could get the bottle for just $1.00 (he worked for the phamaceutical company). My friend and his father needed Tagamet because of a medical condition that runs in the family. So he sold the ARs.

About two weeks later I heard the ARs for the last time. My neighbors got divorced when she discovered that he had an affair. He left her everything but the speakers and his extensive Leica camera system.

Several months later, a gift-wrapped bottle of Tagamet pills was delivered at my office along with a picture of him by his AR-91s in his apartment. He had learned from his ex-wife (via my wife) that I had been prescribed Tagamet for a temporary condition -- too much travel and hasty eating habits did a number on my gastrics for a short while.

In addition to the picture he sent 4 tickets to an upcoming classical concert I could not get tickets for, it was sold out. His company was co-sponsoring the event. The tickets were for my friend and I, still thanking him for the great job on the ARs.

Edits: 10/04/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Ahhh! ARs from their golden times - JBen 22:46:39 10/04/11 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.