Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Want to try this.

When you listen with this, you aren't listening to the speakers directly, you're listening to the first reflections. The first one that hits your ears is from the side walls. As far as I can tell, this determines lateralization. Then you get the reflection from the front wall and this pulls the image forward so you don't get an "in your head" headphone effect.

Anyway, I'm thinking that the side wall reflections are equivalent to the direct sound when you're listening in a normal orientation since they get to your ears first, so you may want to listen first with the side that normally faces you facing out -- the diaphragm side on newer Maggies. Though orientation didn't seem to make a difference when I tried flipping it with my Monsoons.

As to tweeter forward/back, you have to experiment but one of the things I noticed about this setup is that variations in frequency response, distortion, etc., all those bugaboos of conventional stereo, became a lot less important. You can still hear them, but they don't interfere much with the realism of the sound. The best way I can describe the effect is that it's like playing an instrument in two different rooms -- the instrument will sound different because the rooms have different acoustics, but *it always sounds like a real instrument*. The main impediment to that realism in conventional stereo is acoustics -- playing a recording made in one acoustic through two little speakers into another acoustic. This arrangement seems to eliminate that. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like you're in a real room, but without a direct view of the stage. Which isn't quite there, but is a step up in realism from conventional stereo, even the palpable 3D images we're accustomed to.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.