Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan 1.7 high frequency harshness

My Preamp is a PV15 (supposed to be pretty "neutral" compared to other CJ's models). The amp is a SS MF2250 - warm mids - plenty of power for my needs but again, more "neutral" than its "tube's brothers".

With a MC amp, I guess I would not look for a CJ pre. Like CJs, MCs have a "distinctive" sound signature (which is different than CJ's). I would try to stay in the same "brand" or maybe look for something a bit more "flavorless" (AR maybe ?).

Electronics are only a part of the whole thing. A too lively room may "ruin" your whole system. Jitter or an impedance mismatch could also do that (have you checked that - your impedance match ?). I myself was surprised to see the specs of my CJ preamp. It has a very low impedance sensitivity at the input compared to other preamps. My DAC has a very high impedance at the output. Lucky me, I already had a buffer at the DAC's output (I guess most users of passive preamps have or should have one of those buffers somewhere on hands). Without it (the buffer), I would probably have put for sale the PV15 the minute after I plugged it.

There may be other solutions more effective (and cheaper) than changing preamps. But again, it could be that (the preamp). One thing I have a hard time to believe (sorry guys, I read that kind of comments here and there and I disagree) is that a "good quality" cable would be responsible for harshness. If another cable "reduces that harshness", it is doing some roll-off (so it does not let the entire signal go through) and I don't accept that as a proper solution. Adding "warmth" and "flavor" is one thing; deliberately removing part of the signal is another (not acceptable to me). We spend too much money trying to "get the whole real thing" to finish the job by cutting some of the signal at the end (I would feel like throwing the towell when just about to make it).

One of the reason I like my 1.7 better than the 1.6 is because I believe they are "better" at handling high frequencies. I love that new tweeter and no way that I personnally would agree with a "roll-off" solution.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.