Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan 1.7 high frequency harshness

Scott, with the input given so far, there's already a good set of ideas of where to look. There's one that I'd like to repeat because, regardless of the ultimate remedy in your case, this one is still a good add on.

Like Neo and others said, Al Sekela's chokes: http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/tweaks/Al_Sekela.html

I discovered Al's chokes around the time I began to feed my MMGs tweeters via line-level bi-amping. With the additional purity in top end sound, along came more evidence of the nasties that these chokes can fight, which they did. The chokes fixed the issue that was ruining the extended top end of many good SACDs and CD.

They actually did more good than just the curing of this problem, but that's another story.

If you send for them (they are real cheap) buy 4 instead of 2. (I don't know if the extra pair can be used with 1.7s the way I've used them. However, they may still be useful in fine tuning.) The thicker 5522 or the thinner 5502, both work (I own sets of both). I ended up using 4 of the 5522 -- 2 for the tweeters and 2 for the mid/bass panels -- because I bi-amp. The basic RFI problem can be treated with just the ones for the tweeter.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.