Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan 1.7 high frequency harshness

This sounds like the classic mismatch with the amplifier thing. It crops up from time to time for random users. It is very frequency specific and when there is enough energy on that tone you get an electrical and/or acoustic resonance that isn't getting dampened. Look for it at the crossover frequecies. You can use a test tone disc or a frequency generator to find it.

I wished there was an easier way to fix it but the only solutions I know is to find an amp that is a better match for your 1.7's. Apart from that you have rebuilding the crossover or trying an active crossover. Or perhaps a notch filter may tame that. It can be beaten and you do not have to live with it. I was hoping that the X.7's would be immune from this with the low order crossovers. That is exactly what got me into learning how to modify my speakers and electronics to begin with.

There is a very thin possibility that the resistance of the speaker cables is a little too high and you are losing just enough damping there. The higher the resistance the more damping falls off. This is a potential penalty for using cables that are either too long or too thin.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Magnepan 1.7 high frequency harshness - emsquare 17:47:31 06/17/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.