Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Magnepan 1.7 high frequency harshness

I have had my 1.7s now for about 3/4 of a year and trust me, they are broke in and I am unbelievably impressed with them and uber-happy. I am wondering if other people who have heard or own these are familiar with a edge or stridant harshness in the high frequencies however. It is not continuous or evident on all recordings. The effect seems to come on power spikes even with lower volumes. CDs seem to do it more than vinyl. Don't get the wrong impression, I like everyone here, hear and question every little twinge that doesn't sound right.

I run an older but still enjoyable set of McIntosh separates, a MC7270 amp an C37 preamp. I used to drive Thiel CS3s with these pieces and never heard this, so I am discounting the electronics. The amp never clips and I am seriously not taxing its output if the meters are accurate, and I trust they are.

I've been racking my brain trying to guess why I'm getting this. Could it be from:
1. Cheap speaker cables? I am running just simple stranded 12 guage OFC bulk cable. I am waiting on some Anticables that I just ordered.
2. Is my Mac gear getting worn out?
3. Maybe my interconnect. I am using a Straight Wire Rhapsody S between the amp and preamp.
4. Just what the 1.7s do. Can't be fixed.

I appreciate some opinions or things to try.

Scott

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Magnepan 1.7 high frequency harshness - jsm71 14:06:04 06/17/11 (44)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.