Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

choices and economics

Were I incredibly wealthy, I wouldn't give a second thought to ripping into a $5,000 pair of speakers - I'm not, so I do. At just over a tenth of the cost, a pair of MMGs lends itself to extreme modding without the concern of spoiling a significant investment. The same simply cannot be said for the 3.6, although I do consider them a true bargain. I do not, however, think that's the only explanation for the fact that they tend to remain pretty much stock for most inmates.

I'm not kidding when I say that I wasn't really sure what to expect out of the audition. There were the recommendations by owners, but I still had all these negative ideas about the 3.6s - complicated speaker level crossover, big and thirsty, my amp isn't exactly a monster, and how will my ears react to all that treble (as someone has warned)? Believe me, I had my share of positive expectations - why would the ribbon lovers lie?

They are like any other speaker in that a subwoofer system is necessary, not because of any apparent deficiency in the speaker (when it's in the recording, it comes out with sufficient authority), but because of the deficiency in all too many recordings. Aside from that, they are better in every respect than what I have now - and not by a narrow margin. They don't seem to me like a project waiting to be executed. They kept quieting my mind as they sang so many familiar tunes in an unfamiliarly limpid manner.

The 3.6 hits the ground sounding glorious. I have no doubt they can be improved (just look at what Andy has done), but my first listen was as pleasing as anything I've experienced in the world of music reproduction. I think the honeymoon will last a few years at least. The truth is, we inmates are a restless bunch - they will undergo a transformation or two!

It's only a matter of time ;-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • choices and economics - wazoo 18:27:47 06/26/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.