Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Regrets

Regrets? Yeah, right! Look, my own quest for cleaning up the top end of my MMGs first, made me leave the bracing/framing for last also. Only if I could have their tweeters singing sweet enough would I keep them. Seems to me like that's what you were aiming for, as well. In the process you have helped me and you are helping others with the exploration. And it's fun!!!

Anyway, the break-in period could have gone unnoticed had it not been such an uncommonly tight (and long) test for me. For example, not using the subwoofer, not even for movies since the previous week -- and for two weeks during the [unplanned] extended test -- made it more clear. When HR, initially, robbed the P-frames of their extended bass, I was prepared to accept it. The rest of the cumulative improvements with PF+HR were sooo well worth it!

Ironically, it was the bass in PF+HR that first alerted me to the break-in process. That night, I was having the place all to myself. I love my long-term test music selection (G2), and that's all I was having.

The first one on, Joss Stone's "I Believe It To My Soul", opens with a full ensemble and strong bass introduction. All very enjoyable with P-Frames (alone), in the past. From earlier in the testing process, I already expected that with PF+HR, the bass would be lost or weakened in this piece. Yet, I also knew that EVERYTHING else would be, at the very least, slightly better or the same. Overall, more engaging.

So, it started with the full ensemble intro. What!? My jaw dropped. Some of the strong bass was back! Then Joss' voice opened up. Full, luscious, and impossibly Soulish, she started singing it...and so did I, "I believe...."

The other bass-rich pieces in G2 were checked next. It was there, as well. It also started showing up in frequency sweeps. Slowly but surely, it came back.

Yes, a subwoofer would have hidden this evolution. So would a change, like going to Full-Razoring soon after HR. With me being such a darn sloth, it was easier to encounter it.

BTW, the closest neighbor was on vacation for over two weeks. That helped with late night listening also.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.