Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Razor your mags

Hey Mark,

Thanks for chiming in.

While I'm not in disagreement with your basic premise and may try your mod myself, the complete elimination of resonation has not always been the goal of a good speaker system. Thin walled BBC monitors like the Spendor BC1's or SP1's, as well as others, didn't strive to completely eliminate cabinet resonances. They were incorporated, somewhat successfully, into the voicing of the speakers.

It is a good point and Nelson pass has a whole article on it and the glory days of audio when cabinets vibrated, amps were low power and drivers were very efficient.

THough I think Magnepan "LIVES" with the vibration. Kind of a necessary evil. Having removed that vibration and heard the results I cant imagine anyhow preferring the metal vibrations as part of the sound.

And you SHOULD try it as it is so easy and one of the few major improvements that is easily reversible. Make your own judgements.

Well designed speakers are not just a collection of parts, at least they shouldn't be. They are a system based on specific design parameters. Sometimes the earnest modder in the quest for better sound may look at one aspect of a design, and decides that it can be improved, and low and behold the speakers sound different. When this occurs, its not surprising that they sound different, the real issue is ... do they sound better. And better, to a great degree, is subjective.

That is the heart of the matter. I say yes resoundingly better. But you might disagree. So try it and let me know.

Regardless of which approach they take, everyone says their maggies are significantly improved over the stock versions and sound great. It would seem therefore that a), almost any reasonably thought out and executed mod to a pair of maggies results in better sound than the mannufacturer provides, and b), that it's almost impossible to mod these speakers and make then sound worse than a stock pair. Since the overwhelming majority of those modding their maggies are music lovers and are not trained or experienced in speaker design I find the later point hard to be accept.

THere are a few reports of an unhappy modder but I think you are right most mods improve things or that is the report. But they should, in that while they may be music lovers most are following some kind of recipe that some one who is experienced in speaker design recommends. Most of the tweaks in the archives are from the likes of Mart, Ed Hsu, Davey, Andyr, etc who are not necessarily light weights at this, and offer well thought out things to do.

Now if these music lovers couldnt consult the tweak section and had to come up with things on their own, then well B would be more and more suspect.

Anyhow it will be interesting what you think when you try it.

Cut to razor sounding violins

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Razor your mags - Dawnrazor 14:05:51 06/06/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.