Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: H-D ...

I looked for the Mapleshades online, but couldn't find them.

Anyway, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Mye stands are a non-destructive mod -- they go through the existing foot mounting holes and have clamps that hold the frame in the middle.

I don't see why you couldn't try this effect to see if you like it before committing yourself to Mye stands, BTW. Just put something heavy on the existing feet and clamp a couple of angled supports to the speaker. It won't be as rigid as the Myes, but any support of the upper part of the panel is going to result in a significant improvement in that to-and-fro vibration, so it should give you enough of the effect to let you know if you want to spring for the Myes. I'm planning to try it myself, I can't see spending $600 on speaker stands for $600 MMG's!

BTW, I know what you're saying about the ease of natural sound and the overprecise, clinical sound of stereo, but letting speakers vibrate won't give you what you're after, which is the missing hall ambiance and the ease that comes from low distortion and flat frequency response. Letting the speakers vibrate will mostly just smear and color the sound and rob the speakers of bass extension -- the real kind, not the thumpy, boomy peak-and-dip stereo kind (although I suppose there's a risk that you'll emphasize the speaker's bass resonance).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: H-D ... - josh358 08:41:31 02/27/10 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.