Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Front wall room treatment for dipoles, Maggies, others

Just curious if anyone has actually done any experimenting with different room treatments on the wall directly behind dipoles such as Maggies. I'm not talking about bass trapping in the corners or the middle of the wall, but the part directly behind the speakers. And forget about only posting theory, lets talk about actual experiences comparing absorption versus diffusion since these are probably the two most likely treatment types to be used.

I have found the following so far in my limited experience. In my case the front wall is pretty much one big window with horizontal metallic venetian blinds covering most of glass except up near the ceiling. If I put bass traps (not HF reflection controlling absorbers unfortunately) on the front wall behind the speakers I lose some detail and some soundstage dimension and some air. If I used HF absorbers I suspect I'd lose even more detail and air. The absorption I used did have some benefit too. There was less glare and hardness and it was smooth, but a bit dull.

Going back to no absorption, the binds do not really do any proper diffusion to speak of. Maybe they do more reflecting which does highlight the dipole soundstaging ambiance which is nice in a sense. Angling the blinds allows me to bounce the energy down to the carpet and attenuate some HF, which is nice. I really hope to try some real QRD diffusion behind the speakers one day soon. And I'm not sure what to expect from diffusers other than soundstage ambiance. I've heard that diffusers can reduce combing (my limited understanding of combing is it like acute noise rather than big frequency response peaks and valleys) but I don't know what that will sound like as an improvement. More detail maybe?

I'd be interested hearing other peoples experiences treating that front wall.

Bryan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - Front wall room treatment for dipoles, Maggies, others - bryan 14:21:07 11/25/09 (22)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.