Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

From an imate attending the CES . . .

"Best sound so far? Well, no doubt about this one. Magnepan had a huge screen blocking the view of some new speakers they are coming to market with. We listened to the ten minute demo and could not see what we were hearing. As a magnepan owner, very familiar with the Maggie sound, I thought they sounded MUCH better then my 1.6s, whatever they were. Very open, warm, lifelike and spacious. The bass was deep, tight and full. So the demo ends and they ask what we think before unveiling them from the curtain. They sounded so good, I honestly thought we were listening to a new flagship speaker from them. Nope. Lights came on and back there were a pair of the smallest and cutest maggies Ive ever seen. Maybe a foot high and six inches wide on top of some two foot stands!!! The company is dumbfounded by what they have designed (they actually stumbled on to it by trying to make computer speakers for the desktop) and has no idea how to price or market
them because they also feel they are better then half their lineup. They asked us for help!!!!! Basically they are using the true ribbon tweeter and midrange used in their flagship speaker, but on a tiny scale! The mini maggies only go down to 300 hertz so They also used in the demo two magnepan woofers, for the bass, which are basically hunks off the 20.1 flagship. The planar magnetic woofers will list for 500 dollars and are passive and go to 40 hertz. This demo had myself, Bob and Jeff literally flipping out. Its all we talked about at dinner. Magnepan has no idea on how to price the mini maggies so I dont know what they will list for Other will be inexpensive though because of what a consumers perception of what your getting size wise) but Im already thinking of how to sell my huge 1.6 maggies so I can get these dinky things!!!!! Goes to show again that small and simple monitors like this one are the way to go sometimes."

"If God had meant for us to be naked, we would have been born that way." - Unknown

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.