Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Can you give an example

I'm not sure you can compare amps and speakers. Being an obvious wooden thing, a stand looks more like furniture. An amp is an amp, even if it has tubes. Besides, most old tube amps hid the tubes, and those that did not looked like this

and now they look like this

So it is easy to date them. It's like when you see a green, tan or yellow home appliance, you know it's from the 70's.

When I first made stands I designed it as a utilitarian thing, and so defaulted to a very basic look. I was originally going to mortise and tennon the pieces as well but the guy who first wanted them wanted mitered corners instead if possible, so that's why I even did it that way. I am used to building Pennsylvania German styled things and that is a bit of a "husky" style. I always very much disliked the Krenov school of modern design. To them, this is a cabinet...

To me it's just adapting, actually adulterating, japanese design to western values. But yes, it's all "modern" and clean looking.

I would build a cabinet to look like the thing on the chest below. That to me is a cabinet, and frankly more attractive

But it's apples and oranges and I am now beginning to realize that perhaps my old values do not, and should not apply in this genre and that if I am going to be doing this, I need to make the stands match the rest of the stuff it will be getting used with. I know in the past there were always people quick to chime in comments about my stands such as "Nice job, but I don't like the way they look". That has not been said about these.

Just more irony for my ever ironic life. I spent years learning all I could about the early period designs I loved, and meanwhile despised the modern ethic going on around me, and now lo and behold it has consumed me as well.

It's all about the music...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.