Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

no need to get defensive

Back when I got the shocker that there are people who not only prefer the MMG, but they actually kind of dislike the 1.6 even once modded the fact that all this is an issue of choice became abundantly clear. Still, I was caught be surprise at the reaction to these.

I think some apogees are really fugly, but the wood veneered ones are not. Of course they are not busy out back like a maggie is either, so there is more to look at. These probably carry that off without the severe industrial feel apogees can have. (although there will be those who prefer them for that reason too)

It is an entirely wrong way to think, but you are 100% correct when you say these are very modern looking and as such we assume, for whatever reason, that they are more expensive. (and why would we when we know that means mass production?) It is also very true that modern and futuristic stylings lend themselves to high end gear more. It suppose this is the beginning of the end for the old way then.

As for complexity, hiding the bases was simple and no more work. The problem with the frames came from the fact that all the grain runs up and down, even the top and bottom pieces. It will be impossible to do that in some species with a single piece, as you just can't get 9" widths in some things. In any case glue up might be better as this really runs the risk of warping as the bottoms are essentially close to a 2 foot wide board.

Doing all the glue up (and cutting out all the pieces) was time consuming, but the only real difficulty came from trying to make the edge pieces and cut them with the proper expanding taper. That was not fun, and it couldn't be done on the table saw. If this keeps needing to be done I am going to make a special box to cut them out in.

The funny part is I very much was looking forward to this build but the finishing issue turned it into the job from hell, and by the end I was so sick of them I just wanted them gone. It robbed me of any pleasure I had going in. (Like Ralphie shooting his eye out) I can't even say what the issue was because I don't know. I think it was a bad reaction caused by the peruvian walnut, but the finish went bad and the wood itself went bad. (got soft and stringy and nothing would dry on it) There were a few moments when I believed the whole thing would need to get tossed. It took every trick I know and a lot of luck to salvage them.

What I'm curious about now is what the reverse would look like - dark wood frames with a maple type trim.

It's all about the music...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.