Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Power for 3.6's.. do you think...

There is a big misconception out there about Maggies needing lots of power. While they do need more than single ended power, a good 70wpc as Dusty has noted or a good 100wpc-150wpc is adequate. That is unless you want to blast 120db rock, and then you have selected the wrong speaker. For 120db rock, get the MBL speakers, nothing better at loud volume, but I listen to 90-100db ranges, and the MBL are rather lifeless at less than ear splitting levels. I have compared with my 3.6's the following. The Legacy/Coda 330wpc 8ohm, 600wpc4ohm, Bryston 7BST, ARC D300 300wpc 4 ohms, Quicksilver V4 JJ KT88's, Quicksilver Silver Monos, Custom Eico HF89 Very heavily modded, as in 4k of mods with V-caps, loads of silver, mil spec everything at 70wpc and JJ KT88's. The best sound was with the 70wpc amp, and next the Quicksilver Silver Mono, followed closely by the V4. The tube amps are high voltage devices and high impedance, low damping factor, in the range of 10-11, at least the Quickies and Eico. Transistors on the other hand are low impedance high current, low voltage devices with damping factors in the 200-600 range. The current school of thought is that higher damping factors are better which is like saying better brakes make a car faster. The high damping factor over-controls the woofer, or low frequency notes, causing a thumping or pop-pop one note bass. Matching the damping factor of the amp and speaker is far more significant than pure wpc chasing. I have found this true in comparing speakers from Vandersteen, Legacy Whisper, Maggie 20.1, 3.6, MMG, Nestorovic, Cabasse, and many others. Transistors will control a very flabby speaker, but mere control should not be the goal. The best bass I ever heard from the maggies and the Legacy Whisper was from a 70wpc tube amp, the modded Eico. Also, no outboard active crossover was used, just the passive. I like to avoid the host of transistors and parts in the signal path. They can work, but make the challenge greater. Note, not all 70wpc amps are created equal. The match, the perfect match is key. Remember, if it doesn't have lethal voltage, it might not work.....Jeff

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.