I have an opportunity to get a hold of a pair of early production run MGIIIA in pretty good if not borderline excellent shape. However, one channel is buzzing. Price should be good. I am thinking around $200-$250.
MMG would be turnkey. I have owned these in the past and think the world of them as long as they have room to breathe- in my room they do.
In regards to the MGIIIA; How hard is it to re-glue these? (I have read the directions, but really how hard?) How long can I expect the ribbons tweeters to last?
The seller says that he has rested his hand on the back of the IIIa in "X" area (not the tweeter) and the buzzing has stopped. That is probably not good for the speakers but does give an insight to the real issue.
If I could fix the buzzing relatively easily, then I would feel good about sending them to Magnepan for the soup-to-nuts down the road. I dont want to send them out right away though.
Do you think the MGiiia hassle is worth it?
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - MGIIIA vs MMG - robber 19:41:16 05/09/07 (31)
- Re: MGIIIA vs MMG - monk1 09:25:35 05/11/07 (3)
- Re: MGIIIA vs MMG - jazzedup 13:49:00 05/11/07 (2)
- Re: MGIIIA vs MMG - Mike D 12:11:49 05/10/07 (0)
- get both; - Green Lantern 11:46:20 05/10/07 (0)
- Re: MGIIIA vs MMG - slbenz 07:02:52 05/10/07 (0)
- Re: MGIIIA vs MMG - firstname.lastname@example.org 07:02:36 05/10/07 (1)
- Intersting info in regards to the amp. Thanks NT - robber 07:49:53 05/10/07 (0)
- MGIIIa's - email@example.com 06:22:08 05/10/07 (0)
- Re: MGIIIA vs MMG - stevenk 02:10:39 05/10/07 (0)
- I know that one-eyed s.o.b. PG will disagree with me but ... - andyr 02:01:43 05/10/07 (18)
- That's an Aussie for ya..... - Peter Gunn 12:35:24 05/11/07 (1)
- ROTFL :-)) nt - andyr 15:02:41 05/11/07 (0)
- Room/Amp - robber 06:37:53 05/10/07 (15)
- Re: Room/Amp - Peter Gunn 13:14:46 05/11/07 (11)
- Crossover - Rod H. 12:19:46 05/12/07 (1)
- Re: Crossover - Peter Gunn 13:22:44 05/12/07 (0)
- Follow up - robber 20:34:49 05/11/07 (1)
- Re: Follow up - Peter Gunn 20:52:42 05/11/07 (0)
- That was one hell of a post - robber 20:30:51 05/11/07 (6)
- Re: That was one hell of a post - Peter Gunn 20:41:40 05/11/07 (5)
- Thanks a lot- I am going to go with MMGs - robber 07:09:46 05/12/07 (4)
- Re: Room/Amp - andyr 13:31:07 05/10/07 (2)
- Re: MGIIIA vs MMG - mrr 21:29:45 05/09/07 (0)