Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: What I get to do when they let me out of MY cell...

Don't laugh - they were formerly attached to tables. I was with a friend who was looking at used furniture when I saw a couple tables that swiveled - that little light in my head started to glow, so I bought them. The things are made of steel and are fairly heavy.

They were too tall, so I cut 18" off the posts and cut and threaded the connecting rod. The feet were also too long, so I cut them off 8" from center and welded them to a new piece of 1" OSD pipe (I just made a wooden jig to hold everything square for welding). Then I removed and tossed the plastic carpet protectors and drilled and set some spikes in the ends.

The only thing left to address was the finish - didn't want the bright, shiny metal. I used Duplicolor's smoke anodized finish spray paint (prepping first with adhesion promoter). It worked great and stands up to being tapped with a screwdriver.

The good news is that my final cost was about $60 for both stands. The bad news is that it was quite a few hours of labor. But then, as I mentioned elsewhere, I find this kind of thing a heck of a lot of fun. I may shorten them a little more - 12" at present.

That speaker wire was an adventure as well. I bought some litz cables in Germany 26 years ago, but the silver leads didn't hold up well and they ended up in a drawer (I hated the idea of pitching them). One day I came across them and decided to make some custom length cables out of them, so I bought a melting ladle and fired up a plumbing torch. I melted down at least $20 worth of WBT 4% silver solder (I love that stuff) and started dipping and skimming. It was a messy task, but it worked beautifully. Like I said, I like to tinker!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: What I get to do when they let me out of MY cell... - wazoo 16:35:54 12/09/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.