Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Try different component values

I played around with different values settled on the following components. The basic thinking on the current setup for the newer MMG setup is this: the tweeter section is essentially the same as the MG 12, but the woofer is not. Using the MG12 as a starting point, I made an adjustment for woofer panel impedance (~5ohm on MMG vs ~4 ohm on MG12) to maintain approximately a Bessel lowpass. Then I raised the crossover point to a point between the old MMG and the MG12. Then I just played around untill it sounded right. After playing around with different cap values and types, I also ended up with a slightly smaller cap than on the MG12, which I think sounds better in the crossover region.

After all the trial and error, here's what I ended up with:

Lowpass (from Parts Express):
*2.5 mH Erse super Q inductor- lower resistance makes a big difference in bass frequencies
*33uF Jantzen- cheap capacitor, wouldn't use it in a series filter as it tends to sound nasal, maybe even harsher than Solen, but works fine in the lowpass

Highpass (from Allied Electronics):
*30uF ASC x386s- I love this cap- metalized polyprop in oil. It may be have been designed for industrial but it has a warm yet clean sound- no added harshness like some of the other caps I've used. I think they beat out a lot of $$$$ "audiophile" caps- and they are cheap so you can try them out.
*Roederstein bypass- can't remember the value- just your basic bypass cap. Makes a little difference- nothing dramatic, but enough to justify spending a couple of bucks on them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.