Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: MMG Crossover Upgrade (yeah, another one)

Thanks again for the additional information. It appears that you followed the schematic for the MG12 crossover that I found somewhere in these pages. What's ordered is ordered and I'll go with the original MMG configuration for the moment, but I'll keep a further upgrade in mind. For about $120 I can add a few more components to get to the MG12 crossover specs (inductors add in series; capacitors add in parallel), including nice, small value bypass capacitors. I may do the bypass cap first (after a few months) just to see what difference it makes - I am curious.

After my MMGs are modded, I'll try reversing a set of the M850s to see if I can hear a difference. I admit that I haven't tried that, and I abide by their arrows, but it just seemed weird to me - electrons flow both ways with AC.

Erse Super Q inductors supposedly solve the most vexing problem with magnetic cores but they aren't that much less expensive than the Alpha Core foil coils (a design which has its own set of issues). Chokes are just bad things, but one can't build a crossover without them. I also considered sourcing my crossover upgrade from Parts Express, but Sonic Craft has much better pricing - nice folks too!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: MMG Crossover Upgrade (yeah, another one) - wazoo 05:16:29 12/08/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.