Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: MMG Crossover Upgrade (yeah, another one)

Thank you for the feedback. I never expected so many replies so quickly - simply incredible.

I initially considered going active, but space constraints (already have a pair of Acurus amps) in my cabinet (I guess I could build another, larger one) preclude such a move. Active (line level) crossovers certainly suffer none of the reactive issues of passive crossovers.

Having said that, the worst component in a passive crossover is actually the inductor, at least according to physics. I'll take you at your word that Taz's crossover sans capacitors is better, but I would love to understand the theory which led to the design.

When I first opened the socks to see what was inside these MMGs, I almost laughed. When I began removing the junk, two of the wires pulled right out of their connectors (with precious little force). I was appalled at the low build quality. The only surprise was how little improvement my initial changes made. Getting them upright on solid stands definitely helped them image better (weren't bad to begin with). Frankly, this tinkering is fun.

Thanks again.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.