Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Hi DR ...

Sorry, I forget which model Maggie you have and whether your perforated metal magnet sheet is at the front or the back ... so I can't be absolutely specific (but email me directly, if you've got any more Qs :-)) ).

On my IIIAs, I had some steel angles made up which were about 3/4" along the "big side of the 'L'" and 1/4" wide along the small side. The big side lies flat against the MDF and the small side pokes down to press against the metal sheet (which in my IIIAs is at the back). The bass/mid drivers are set into a rebate cut into the MDF frame and the back of the wooden frame of the bass/mid driver sits about 1/4" down from the surface of the MDF frame.

Because my metal sheet is at the back, I had those steel reinforcing bars every 15" or so, so I had to cut the steel angles into short lengths, to fit between the reinforcing bars ... and I put 2 bolts in for each section.

If you had your metal sheet at the front, you could use just one long piece of steel angle at the back and put bolts, say, every 10-12".

Now, if you don't have a tame metalwork shop to make up the steel angles or you can't find 3/4" x 1/4" steel angles already made up, you could use a slight variant which IMO would be almost as good.

Get some steel flat - say 3/4" x 1/8" (or 1" x 1/8") - and lay it on the sides of the bass (or bass/mid) driver frame ... ie. inside the rebate. Then simply drill holes through this and through the outer MDF frame and bolt it in place (mushroom bolt heads at the front and nuts at the back, with lock-washers underneath).

Whether silicon would do just as good a job ... I really have no idea but gut-feel says to me it won't!! :-)) And besides, as you said ... if you want to subsequently remove the driver assembly then you're in trouble!!

Regards,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Hi DR ... - andyr 00:39:25 12/04/06 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.