Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

I agree completely ... and the Model 5 xover is much better (but pricey)

Though I didn't state it in my previous post, one of the reasons I walked away from the Vandy sub was precisely because of the caps in the signal path affecting sound quality. I was happy enough when I had the small MG 10.1s as my main speakers, which needed to be relieved of bass below 80hz. But after moving to 1.6s, I found that I prefferred them without the crossover and instead running full-range with a sub to just augment the very bottom end.

I did borrow a Model 5 xover from my local dealer and thought it was a great improvement. But he wasn't able to get one from Vandersteen, as they are built primarily for the Model 5, and even if he could a pair was going to cost me something like $600.

BTW: I took a look inside the Model 5 xover and found that it contains much more than just better caps. It uses a 9 volt battery to somehow bias the caps (I'm not exactly clear on how this is done). I tried to figure the circuit out so I could build my own, but I was never confident enough in my skills or understanding to go through with it.

Initiative comes to those who wait.
- Alex, "A Clockwork Orange"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I agree completely ... and the Model 5 xover is much better (but pricey) - krikor 14:22:56 11/30/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.