Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Magnepan MMG

As others have said, use them for a while before you dive into crossover upgrades. If only so that you can then fully appreciate the difference. There are a lot of ways to go upgrading the crossover: direct component replacement, redesigned crossover, active setup, etc...

The simplest route is just to replace the stock capacitors with higher quality items (Jensen, Auri, Hovland) which nets a significant improvement. You'll find lots of info on the MUG site for this, basically you remove the sock, cut the old caps out, and solder the new ones in. This is a simple and cost effective approach with significant improvement.

There's also removal of the fuse and tweeter jumper from the circuit. Not quite as simple as a capacitor upgrade, but free and a nice improvement.

Next is replacement of the inductors, but the increase in size of higher quality inductors means that you need and external crossover box as they won't usually fit under the sock, which means a lot more work than the above upgrade.

An active setup for an MMG is overkill in my opinion, particularly given your parameters. Plus it's more fuss and more to screw up. I definitely wouldn't consider it unless I had 1.6QR's at least.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Magnepan MMG - jjcarr 08:48:10 11/26/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.